Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Shame of AQHA - It's all about the money, honey.




So I was browsing the internet today and happened across this little gem:
AQHA Official Celebrates Pending Slaughter of Quarter Horses

Are you f**king kidding me? Oh, this will do wonders for the breed. To hell with standards. Instead of focusing on actually improving the breed by trying to stop backyard breeders (discouraging indiscriminate breeding (and registering) and flooding the market with the crap, the poor and the damned), let’s instead concentrate on shoveling money into the AQHA coffers (via registration and new member fees) and “killing off existing Quarter Horses to make room for more.” In other words, improvements and standards? We don’t need no stinkin’ improvements or standards. We just need more!

Yeah, right.

And while we’re on the subject, “the next major AQHA effort will be to try to defeat the federal legislation that will end the slaughter of American horses; HR 503, The Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act of 2009.”

This is AQHA's idea of something good for the breed?

I think my head is going to explode.

The slogan “Let freedom ride” should add the words "[until we decide to] look at ways to introduce an equine economic stimulus package that will boost registration numbers." (The quoted are AQHA's then executive vice-president Bill Brewer's words, not mine.) To hell with the horse, the breed, the standards, and the promotion... unless by promotion and "other ways" the AQHA means Quarter Horses: Versatility now also includes making a darn good sandwich.

I own two Quarter Horses (or do they own me?)—a thirty-two year old mare and a twenty-seven year old gelding. Both did their time in the show ring (I prefer open shows, though we did a bit in breed), both won a truckload of ribbons and trophies (High Point and Super Horse, etc., etc.), both have given me more than I could ever repay, and both have earned their retirement ten fold. They will never see the inside of a slaughterhouse or auction; they’ll live and die right here with me. They are NOT “disposable.” They are family.

6 comments:

coeurdefer said...

Excellent! Most excellent post; well written, good language skills and wit...most all, superior logic and sentiment. Now sit back and find out how truly "intelligent" the protrolls are if they find out about this blog.

Keep up the good work.

Hawke said...

Thank you so much, coeurdefer.

I doubt the post will rattle any cages, but I'm happy to be among the many "emotional women" (the quote a blame by the president of the AQHA when results of polls revealed their membership wasn't pro-slaughter) out there.

"Emotional women." Yeah, that was another thing that made my head explode.

coeurdefer said...

Well, once "they" find out about it(you)...they will sic the proverbial dogs on you. I referenced you on Washington Watch S 727...go read the trash these protrolls post. Then go check out threads for HR 503, 305 and 1018. These people are beyond logic, intelligent discourse or reason. It's all about keeping the status quo. I'm not against death...we will all experience it at least one time in our lives. But to do this to these great animals is repugnant.

Hawke said...

Hey coeurdefer,

Thank you for the link. I got as far as Lin's posts and had to stop reading. And they call horses animals. *sigh*

"These people are beyond logic, intelligent discourse or reason. It's all about keeping the status quo. I'm not against death...we will all experience it at least one time in our lives. But to do this to these great animals is repugnant."

I couldn't agree more.

Hawke

Anonymous said...

Hawke, great blogs-love the guilt by association! Thank you for speaking up for our horses.

BTW-I noticed you're in Canada. Do you know the wonderful folks at the CHDC?

vicki

www.vickitobin.com
www.equinewelfarealliance.org

Anonymous said...

Hey Vicki,

Thank you for reading and for your comments. I'm only glad to speak up for horses. If I didn't, I don't know how I'd ever face my own!

Can't say as I've heard of CHDC. But I'll certainly look them up.

Thanks again,
Hawke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...