Sunday, December 31, 2006

White Wine, Anyone?




Ah, the Christmas/New Years syndrome—the time when a lot (myself included) feel as though we've inadvertently stepped through Alice’s looking glass; Christmas filled with looking back and New Years filled with looking forward. With the timing of these polar opposites a mere week from each other, is it any wonder we sometimes feel as though we're at odds with ourselves?

I’ve always loved Christmas and disliked New Years for the same reason: memories. I have very fond memories of Christmas. Of the lights and the tree and the family togetherness. Of my dad’s potato dressing, and dumping water on the middle sister, at the urging of my eldest, to get her out of bed before noon. Of the spontaneous dances that broke out in the kitchen and the spontaneous singing that broke out in the living room. That my sisters are eleven and ten years older than me might have a lot to do with why those memories are so very precious. By the same token, I have no fond memories of New Years. Not a one. The family would be long gone by then, the best-laid plans fallen through, as always; New Years Day dinner the only redeeming feature of yet another buildup turned disappointment. All the wishful thinking in the world will not change one's life. Only we can do that. And the proof? Out of the bazillions of resolutions made aloud on January 1st, how many will actually come to fruition? (Here’s a hint: most, if not all, will fall through in the first month.) If you want to be a better person, loose weight, go back to school and earn that degree you‘ve wanted, laugh more or give of yourself more, then go for it, that‘s what I say; don’t wait for a special occasion.

As for me, I’ll have a nice glass of white wine and go to bed by ten. It is, after all, just another day.

3 comments:

The Journeyman said...

weeeelll... you could have gone out to see fireworks - I'm presuming they have such things somewhere near where you are? We did & they were quite specky.

I don't have fond memories of either xmas or NY - has to do with a poor choice of family last time I was in between lives *grins* But I've had some good times on occasion since then & this one was made special by virtue of who I spent it with. The first of a line of tradition perhaps, although knowing me, it's likely to be different every time.

Hope your first day of the new year is a good one & the harbinger of many more to come.

Take care my friend, look after yourself.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it has something to do w/ sibling order. I'm the oldest. I have almost no good memories of Xmas even though I have a fine family. New Years is great because you can just ignore it if you want, or do whatever you want. Try to ignore Xmas sometime.

But your memories sound neat.

And I never make any NY resolutions either. But it's funny how busy the club gym is for most of January every year. Love the newbies. Saw a man trying to change his clothes without removing his towel, the way a woman might maybe. Like the guy'd never been in a changeroom. Even in the sauna, they all seem to wear towels. Surprised they don't wear them in the shower. Makes me feel like a nudist or something.

Okaaaaaay, sorry, got carried away.

Hawke said...

Hey Mark,

Yep, we have fireworks here over at "The Ponds." They're pretty nice, or so I hear. Still...you know.

Very glad you had a special Christmas and New Year's. May you have many, many, many more. :)


Hey Chris,

No doubt you're right about the sibling order. I'm the youngest and, as a kid, thoroughly enjoyed Christmas. New Year's was a different matter though. Too young equals being the only one sent to bed early and missing out. Meh.

Isn't "gym" a dirty word? lol I'm not even going hazard a guess as to why he was hiding behind that towel, the poor man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...