Saturday, December 09, 2006

All I Want For Christmas Is...



So I'm sitting here, thinking about the movie "A Christmas Story" and getting all nostalgic, and the one present I remember wanting more than anything else was a Slinky.

I don't remember how old I was that Christmas. But I do remember seeing a Slinky commercial on TV, the happy faces of the kids playing with them, and the waaaay catchy jingle

("What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs, and makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing! Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun, it's a wonderful toy.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun for a girl or a boy.
Everyone wants a Slinky.
You gotta to get a Sinky!")


and I was hooked.

Slinkys were cool. They were "it," they were "wonderful," and they were...not mine. Yet. But I wasn't alone because (like the jingle said) everyone wanted a Slinky, including me. Heck, you would've had to have been blind to not see the smiles on the 'commercial kids' faces and know it was the best thing ever made - the toy Holy Grail of all Holy Grails. And - and it even walked! Well, it walked down stairs in the commercial, anyway. And it made a way-cool shhha-shhha sound, too. Oh, I didn't just want one. I had to have one. In fact, I'd die without one.

To make a long story short, I got it, flew up the stairs, set it up exactly as the 'commercial kids' had, started it off, ran back down the stairs to catch it/save it/watch it...and it stopped less than half way. After that, my mom used it as a Christmas card holder. So it goes.

What was your favorite toy, toy-want, or shattered toy illusion? Just curious.

*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. Now you have a slinky from me. :P

I'd have to say my favorite toy - and most beneficial - was a laptop-looking learning toy. It had the keyboard and flip up screen. Everything was just pixels on green background, but there were so many games on there... I learned about all subjects areas and learned what limited spelling skills I have today. It was great.

Hawke said...

Sounds a lot better than my Slinky. But I bet your learning toy couldn't sub as a nifty Christmas card holder. :P

I know, I know. I'm reaching. *g*

Jess said...

i got a doll when i was like three that i still have. A water baby. She could double as a hot water bottle for ear aches and she was great to sleep with too. Alas, perhaps if i have a daughter someday she will get my doll. lol

Hawke said...

Hey msw,

Awww, that's so sweet! And a great idea, too. Your future daughter will likely love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...