Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dear Readers: A Remorseless Apology

This entry is going to be short and sweet and with my sincere apology though without remorse, mainly because I'm reading a novel right now and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Can one be enamoured with a novel? I believe so. It all goes back to what I said before: that reading a good novel is in a sense like having a long-term relationship. You don’t just enjoy it; you are engrossed by it. With that in mind, probably the most important thing I can say about this novel is that the author has successfully taken the reader (me) into another world. Not entirely, of course; I do not mean that it is actually another world. Except…well, it is. Another world is, after all, where fiction writers endeavour to take their readers. And writers are not immune from seeking and appreciating…what should I call it? How does “guided Nirvana” sound?

I won’t tell you the name of the novel or author unless given premission to do so. I also won’t tell you specifics of the many happenings that seem as though mini parallels of my own life. I will, however, say that I can’t remember enjoying a novel more. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that for me to say such a thing is no small shakes. But for those who don’t, let’s just say that I’m a picky reader to the point that many a novel has hit the bottom of my trash barrel long before the first few pages have been turned, no matter who wrote it. But not this one.

Definitely not this one.


Blessings,
Hawke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hawke,

I just read your blog for the first time in a while. I can't remember when I sent you The Bridge, but I'm wondering if this isn't around the time. If this is an anonymous review of it, then I am most grateful. Of course you have my permission to use names, etc.

If you are refering to it, I'd be intersted to know the parallels to your own life you refer to.

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...