Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Change Will Do You Good

First, my apologies for neglecting to post for the last little while. I promise to do better in the future. In fact, I’m currently at work on the next installment of To Write and will post it Monday (hopefully). Second, no doubt you’ve noticed the header change at the top. Like the song by the same name says: a change will do you good. And it did. Hope you like.

Speaking of changes, I’ve changed my style, my mind, my opinion, my stand, my hairstyle, my pen name, my clothes and just about everything else over the years, including my car.

The first car I ever owned was a Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus V8. She was metallic black with white pin striping and white leather interior (oh baby!) and was used—sure—but so little she was mint. I loved that car. Babied that car. Washed it and waxed it and vacuumed it and was one of those annoying drivers who parked sideways to avoid dings… and when my mom wanted a New Yorker, I reluctantly traded it. So what happened to her? The guy that bought her jacked up the back, slapped on some mags, and ended up rolling and totaling her within a month. Damn shame, that.

Then there was my dad, who use to practically live by the old saying: “If there’s a will, there’s a way.” To understand how this ties into the change theme here, this was a man who installed mom’s brand new dishwasher before dishwashers were installable. I remember standing in the basement holding this and that water pipe while he soldered them together, proud as all-get-out that he’d asked me to help him do something professional plumbers swore up and down could not be done. Of course after it was, they came to the house in droves, looked it all over, and then went about making a fortune while he received none of the credit. Kind of the same way he blueprinted the first snowplow to fit train engines in the yards because he was tired of taking men away from their tasks to shovel the tracks by hand (he was a car inspector with the railway back then, checking cars for hot wheels, etc., and ordering them off the track when they weren’t A-1). It didn’t matter to dad that he wasn’t recognized for it, only that having it made everyone’s job that much easier. (I don't come from stupid people, just modest ones. *grin*)

Not that a new header is on the same par with my dad’s achievements, nor will it make my job easier. I just like it. And who knows? It could be the start of something better.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...