Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Dead Like Me

Sometimes I wonder what my purpose is. I don't mean my purpose on this blog. I mean here. Not everyone is destined to change the world, and not everyone wants to.

Take me, for instance. I wake up at the same time every day, drink the same amount of coffee, do the same straightening up, get ready in the same way, drive down the same road to the same place, do the same job, and at the end of the day look at the same sites. About the only things up for grabs are what I’ll make for supper and how much (or not) I’ll write.

Watching one of my favourite show last night - a dark comedy called Dead Like Me - got me thinking about a lot of things. Mostly about this purpose thing…you know…that I’m just more or less taking up space and killing time until…

…what?

I guess that all depends on what you believe in...or don’t believe in.

Some believe that there will be nothing after the end - just a sort of “lights out“ deal where dead is dead and that’s about it. On the other hand, some believe in heaven and wonderful…well, everything. It’ll be like going home, they say. That we are put on this earth to learn whatever it is we need to learn and then we go back. Well, if we do go home, doesn’t that mean we’ve already been there and left? That living is like taking a vacation to spend with your family and loved ones - kind of like a summer holiday of sorts? And if that’s true - if life is a vacation and death is the real job - what then? Do we just go back to work?

Who knows?

Not me. And I’m not going to worry about it either. About the only thing worrying every got anyone was bad nerves and maybe an ulcer. Besides, you could be minding your own business and get run over by a bus, or choke on a piece of cheese, or a piano falls on you.

The show brought up another topic as well: last thoughts, which should not be confused with last words. Last thoughts and last words can be the same thing, or they can be two entirely different things altogether. For instance, take a drowning man. Even though his last words might be “glub, glub,” I’ll bet his last thoughts are: --

OH SHIT!

Depending on how someone goes, I think the majority of last thoughts are likely

(shoulda woulda coulda Why didn’t I… I wish I had…)

regret. Everyone has regrets. I know I do, and they likely have something to do with my mother. But anyway…

I think one of the saddest things is to someday look back on our lives and say: “I should have...” Why do we do that to ourselves? I mean, sure there are things we can’t control. But for the things we can, maybe we should. Even if we fail, it still beats looking back later and regretting that we didn’t try.

As for me, I still don’t know what my purpose is, or even what will happen in the end (no one knows that with absolute certainty, though we can hope like crazy). But I do know my regrets, and I can try to change a few of them so at least my last thoughts won’t be: I should have…

Yep - I‘ll get right on that.

Maybe tomorrow…

10 comments:

The Journeyman said...

Maybe you should've done them now? Set about changing those thigns I mean *grins*

Otherwise it'll be 'I wish I had gotten around to changing those things so I didn't have to say "I wish I had..."' LOL

Btw, you have the christian PoV confused - they don't think we here to learn anything - unless you consider learning to have faith is it. And they refuse to acknowledge there was anything before so they don't see heaven as going [i]back[/i] And don't even try to bring up the subject of where we come from with one of them!

On the other hand there are those who think Earth-life is a stage; mostly they are eastern religions but Thoth & some of the old schools think the same.

If we are in God's image then looking at humans could tell us something about what is meant to be going on & if we do that, one thing that stands out is how much we like to learn things & gain knowledge. Concommitent with that is awareness.

So get off ya bum & start learning again & develop understanding of what you're learning to bring it all to the level of Awareness - & become God!

Hawke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hawke said...

Umm, thank you for your comments, Mark, but I don't want to be God. I have enough troubles as it is. lol

Yes, yes, I know. I should have said 'some' instead of Christians and Atheists, since it's really a conglomeration of a lot of things I've heard over the years. Must change that asap so I don't get flamed to...where ever it is I'll get flamed to.

Or nowhere - depending.

*grin*

Anonymous said...

I'm here to support the chocolate industry.

:D

Anonymous said...

Could I ever totally relate to your life. Like Janice Joplin said, "It's all the same fucking day man."

A far as regrets go, I guess if I have to have them, I'd like to have them for as short a time as possible, as in as close to when I'm dead as possible. Therefore I tend to avoid risks that I'm likely to regret like tomorrow or the next day.

As far as dead goes, I can't even think of something to wish for. Forever is such a long-ass time.

Chris

Hawke said...

Hey Jaime. Thank you for reading...I think. lol So, if we support the industry, does it come with perks...like, say, samples or something?


Hey Chris. I never thought of timing my regrets before. I like that. Then again, and knowing me, if I didn't have something to regret, I'd have to find something...like regretting not not having anything to regret. heh

Thank you for reading.

Alan said...

regrets are a part of life. also they help make sure you dont make the same or a similar mistake.

wouldnt heaven (if it exists) be boring after awhile? the same thing over and over and over and over agian...

personally i hope that if there is a place after death its narnia (last book...i know a weirdo dork but..)


P.S.
dead like me rocks!

Hawke said...

Hey Alan,

You're not a weirdo dork. And there's nothing wrong with hoping for something good. As for me, I'm hoping for chocolate. *grin*

Thank you for reading.

Ben said...

Hey Hawke,

Don't be so sure you haven't already changed the world. The world, in a sense, is relative, depending on an individual's perspective. One chance encounter with a person could have changed their world; then they might go on to become someone famous and save millions of lives. Who knows? Sort of a butterfly effect, I suppose.

Even if you don't care much about the big picture, you can at least find purpose in the little choices every day. Like pennies, they'll add up to something big someday. Choice: it's really what defines purpose. But now I'm getting all Matrix-y on you.

There aren't any regrets in the future or in the present. Since those are really the only two things that matter, don't sweat it. Regrets only exist if you choose to be regretful. *grins*

Ben

Hawke said...

Thank you, Ben. Such lovely thoughts and such a nice way to look at things.

Thank you again. I appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...